Professional organizations offer development and connections with others in your field and enhance your business profile. Having an industry association on your resume says you are very committed to your profession and actively participating in its advancement. At the time of incorporation, the vision of IIPGH was “to become the most reliable partner in ICT development in Ghana and beyond” and its mission was “to mobilize all ICT professionals under one professional body to positively influence the development, standardization, and delivery of information and communication technology (ICT) across Ghana.” In the last five years, there has been little doubt that IIPGH meant business when it took upon itself these lofty ideals. In recent times, especially, the institute has been working hard at establishing both local and international partnerships to achieve its vision and mission.
Getting involved can benefit you—from networking to the feel-good aspect of volunteering, to developing lasting personal and professional relationships. Yet, time is limited, and with a busy career and social life, you may not possibly get involved with all the organizations in which you might be interested or with those who want you as a volunteer.
In getting involved, do not just show up, volunteer! Attending a monthly meeting is great for face time, but it may also mean that you will get a reputation as an observer instead of a participant. If you want to get to know people and showcase your abilities, get involved. Serve on a committee, volunteer for an event, and/or become a board member. These volunteer activities build long-lasting relationships and potential business opportunities.
How do you decide which organizations are right for you? You must think about your objectives in terms of how your service helps fulfill your own professional development goals, your employer’s desire to bring in and keep business, and the service you want to give.
- Are you looking for professional contacts?
- Do you need a mentor?
- Are you looking for educational opportunities, certifications, webinars, and seminars that will further your industry knowledge?
If it is yes to any of these questions, join and get involved in a professional organization like the Institute of ICT Professionals Ghana, a professional association for ICT professionals, students, and relevant or interested stakeholders.
There is no quicker pick-me-up than becoming involved with something you feel passionate about, something related to your field of study or work. Getting involved also gives you access to like-minded business people and allows you to serve the community or association. At IIPGH, tertiary students, graduates, and professionals are involved with the academy. The academy offers educational platforms and training for kids, especially to learn how to code in a playful and relatable manner. These professionals and graduates volunteer time to teach at the academy with flexibility.
The Institute of ICT Professionals Ghana (IIPGH) is a professional association that is made up of professionals in various domains of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) practice. The Institute is a connector of ICT professionals from Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), educational institutions, corporate organizations, start-ups, investors, and civil society organizations to create a vibrant ICT ecosystem.
We do this by mobilizing all ICT professionals, students, and businesses under one professional association/body to positively influence policy, development, standardization, and delivery of ICT across Ghana and beyond. The institute also aims to train and certify professionals, provide opportunities through networking, educate the public, and lead in technology advocacy. Our vision is to become the most reliable partner in ICT development in Ghana and beyond.
This professional association in the ICT industry aims to achieve the following;
- Mobilizing professionals, Students & Businesses
- Train and certify professionals
- Educate the public
- Influence Policy formulation
- Provide opportunities through networking
- Lead in Technology Advocacy
- Create meaningful jobs
IIPGH Services and Activities at a Snap
- Mobilization of professionals, students, and businesses in the ICT ecosystem
- Membership administration
- Training and certification
This is the consultancy division of the Institute, undertaking but not limited to the following
- ICT Consultancy and Solutions for businesses
- Curriculum review for educational institutions (from basic to tertiary)
The training and development division of the Institute delivers training programs to both members and non-members.
- Coding Education for Ghana Program (Coding for kids, teens, and adults) in web technologies
- Professional Skills Development – Python for Data Science for professionals; Cybersecurity; Data Protection; Internet Governance; other emerging technologies.
- National Teaching Council accreditation–Continuous Professional Development for teachers
- Digital skills education (basic, intermediate, advanced)
Educating society in diverse ways through
- Articles published in a dedicated column (ICT insight with Institute of ICT Professionals) in the Business & Financial Times newspaper and other digital portals.
- Workshops, Seminars, Symposiums, training for professional development in emerging technology areas such as Data Science, Cybersecurity, Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Data Protection, Cloud Computing
- Quarterly Symposiums – Industry-Academia Tech Dialogue (INDAC-TED); Cybersecurity Awareness
- Annual Cybersecurity Awareness
- Annual Tech Job Fair (TJF)
- Annual Tech Entrepreneurs Forum (TEF)
- Advocacy – Women in Tech, Girls in ICT
- Radio and Television ICT programs
With all the above activities and services, members can volunteer time to serve for a purpose. Joining an association like the IIPGH not only shows clients or employers that you are dedicated to your industry but also provides many benefits for you including new job prospects, networking opportunities, mentorship programs, industry standards, professional development, advocacy, volunteer opportunities, and a lot more.
Regardless of your objective, becoming involved in any organization is about developing meaningful relationships from which you will learn and hopefully develop yourself, and grow your firm or business. This means a commitment of personal time and, often, resources in terms of membership fees or fundraising. The bottom line is that consistent and active involvement is the key to successfully developing relationships and business opportunities.
Visit www.iipgh.org or https://membership.iipgh.org/register to join IIPGH
Membership Application Process to join the Institute of ICT Professionals Ghana
Author: Richard Kafui Amanfu – (Director of Operations, Institute of ICT Professionals, Ghana)
For comments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Mobile: +233244357006